I just launched a page on Patreon, an online platform that brings together creators and communities who wish to support their work. Yes, this is partly a response to the COVID-19 pandemic that has made it impossible to earn a living as a full-time professional photographer for the next few months at least. But even during more normal times, it is an expensive prospect to offer “free” travel photography expertise via a daily blog, a Meetup group, and the other forums in which I create content. Furthermore, I am working on several long-term passion projects, including the ongoing international award-winning “Human/Machine Dance Project” (Human/Machine Dance Project) and two book projects. These longer-term creative projects aim to tell the stories of people, places, and cultures that deserve to be shared and that will use the photographic medium to build connections among disparate groups of people around the world. But unlike most of my work, these projects are not funded by specific paying clients and so do not generate immediate revenue. Support from residencies, grants, and platforms like Patreon will help make this work possible.
One of the advantages of supporting an artist on Patreon is the availability of membership levels with certain benefits depending on the tier of support. I’m offering four membership tiers beginning at just $3/month, with these benefits (which vary with the tier of support):
- High-resolution (4K) downloads of selected favorite images
- Access to posts sharing new work, exclusive behind-the-scenes info, and insights into how the images are made
- One signed fine-art print (approx. 8×10″) mailed approximately every six months of membership
- A 1:1 chat session with me, tailored to your interests, held approximately every six months of membership
- Most importantly, your membership at any level will provide much-needed support of my creative projects as well as my instructional activities
My goals are broader than just making a living wage from my work: I aim to apply my photography as a tool to build bridges between cultures, shine a light on topics impacting people everywhere, and teach and inspire the next generation of photographers. Your support will further these efforts, and for that I offer my heartfelt thanks!
You can learn more and, if you’d like, select a membership level, here: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=31987692.